Now that our tiny house is up and running, I'll be sharing some of my go-to recipes. Some will be inspired by hospitality, showcasing quick and easy meals with a big impact for entertaining. Others, like the one below, are geared toward simplifying and enjoying life at home. This kale-tomato spaghetti is great for a Meatless Monday, or any time you need a quick week-night meal, especially if you forgot to thaw the chicken, like I often do!
Our tomato plants are going crazy, and my kale is just about done for the season, so this dish was the perfect way to incorporate both. The cherry tomatoes were literally bursting with flavor! And what's not to love about a fried egg on top? #putaneggonit
I'll also put in a shameless plug for the Emeals (not sponsored) meal planning app where I snagged this recipe. I've been using the app for almost 3 years now and it's honestly changed my life. For $5 a month, I can choose meals according to the styles of eating we like (usually the Clean Eating plan, and occasionally I'll pull from Paleo, Vegetarian, or Slow Cooker), and compile it all into a simple shopping list. From there you can either shop yourself, or import your items into the grocery delivery app of your choice. I cut my grocery bill in half (compared to before I started meal planning), I waste far less, I'm much more adventurous in the kitchen, and we all eat a huge variety of cuisines and styles. I'm never bored, and I don't have to think about what to make for dinner! I already did all the thinking in about 20 minutes once earlier in the week and I know I already have all the ingredients. It's awesome! Ok, onto some simple cooking:
Parmesan-Fried Eggs over Kale-Tomato Spaghetti
- 1 8 ox pkg whole grain spaghetti
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 5 oz baby kale
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet. Cover and cook 3 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are cooked to desired doneness.
- Cook garlic in hot oil in a large skillet over medium0high heat 30 seconds. Add tomatoes; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until wilted.
- Combine pasta, 1/4 cup pasta water, kale mixture, salt, and pepper. Divide pasta among bowls; top each serving with 1 fried egg, and sprinkle with cheese.